Prom is such an exciting time in a high schooler’s life, but some tend to be a little on the anxious side waiting for the date of their dreams to ask them to prom. And, if you haven’t heard of the latest “promposal” trend – it’s exactly what it sounds like. A guy or girl plans an elaborate, usually over-the-top proposal, to ask their date to prom. While most ideas are usually cute or funny, not every “promposal” is fail-proof. Here are five ways not to ask someone to prom:
1. Don’t be “punny” about it. Do not fill her locker with ten bags of baking flour, accompanied with a note asking if she liked the “flours” enough to attend prom with you. Those bags always end up breaking, resulting in a mess – but on the other hand, at least you guys will be set if you ever plan on, I don’t know – baking a hundred pies together?
2. Posting the question all over his car. Do not go out and buy fifty packs of various colored Post-It notes and stick them all over his car, spelling out the question “prom?” Sure, you may feel like a modern-day Picasso, but he’s the one stuck removing all of the stickies from his vehicle for the remainder of the day.
3. Asking her in the form of sunburn. Do not lay on the beach with big cardboard letters spelled P-R-O-M-? on your back, then rely on your freshly lobster-red skin to do the asking for you. She’ll think you’re crazy, and you’re stuck with a potential case of sun poisoning.
4. Having him fake arrested. Do not talk a police officer into pulling your date over, fake arresting him and throwing him into the back of the cop car – meanwhile, surprising him in the seat with a “will you go to prom with me?” sign. You shouldn’t have to use law enforcement to get your guy to say yes.
5. Forging a college rejection letter. Do not type up a letter from her #1 choice college stating that she will not be able to attend in the fall, and then wait to mention in the final paragraph that if she goes to prom to you the school may reconsider their decision. Messing with somebody’s future isn’t exactly the cutest thing in the world.